Providing Kubvan info for 21 years, please help support this site

1983 VW Rabbit Diesel chassis, owned 31 years

Tell us the stroy of how you got you got your van, when you bought it, where it was and and where you are now. Include serial number and year if you can

1983 VW Rabbit Diesel chassis, owned 31 years

Postby cali.kubby » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:34 pm

I worked for Olson Bodies/Grumman Olson in Tulare, California from June 1978 to June 2003. The van I purchased in 1986 was manufactured at that plant in 1983 so it is the first and only from that plant, the rest were built at Texas, Michigan or Pennsylvania. Before purchasing I used it for many "Road Trips" which were warranty claim fixtures for various customers, mainly the old Wonder Bread/Hostess Cake company. While I drove the well equipped 16ft Kurbmaster, my working partner was in the Kubvan right behind me traveling the Highways of Western US, needless to say we turned many heads and drew a lot of attention at our various stops. Kubvans were the prototype for the Post Office LLV vehicles, after testing they decided on the Chevy S10 chassis and slightly different body style that you see today. If I can figure out how to upload pics I will post the many I have taken at various locations. As it sits today, it only has bout 35,000 original miles and still purrs like a Lion (Diesel)
cali.kubby

Re: 1983 VW Rabbit Diesel chassis, owned 31 years

Postby luckham » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:04 pm

Nice story, would love to see some of those pictures.
Click on upload attachments at the bottom of the post a reply dialogue box.
The key is not to not try to load directly from your camera, as the size is to big.
If you can resize them to some thing smaller 640 X480 or so it saves my storage and makes it easy to view.
Some thing that would be really nice to see would be some factory pictures during manufacture.
I would create a space to upload them in hires if they were available. You might have to scan old photographs as that would be pre commonly available digital.
let me know if I can help with the photo's send me a PM
luckham
Site Admin

Postby cali.kubby » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:29 pm

0222.jpg
thanks for info...here's more recent pic, will have to dig out and scan others
cali.kubby

Postby luckham » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:56 pm

Nice looking are those VW or BMW rims, are you still running 13 inch tires.
Whats that wire that runs under the hood from the drivers side.
Are you a Ham or CB radio operator ???
VA7DVR, here.
luckham
Site Admin

Return to Got my Van