Providing Kubvan info for 21 years, please help support this site

Fuel tanks gone, wasted space recovered.

This was Crsmp5 (burnt toast) original idea, I thought I should promote it to it's own forum as it is has been so popular.

Fuel tanks gone, wasted space recovered.

Postby luckham » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:00 am

Getting serious with the camperizing, picking up the new seats on the 16th excited to see how they are going to fit in the new space.
recovered space.jpg
recovered space.jpg (55.29 KiB) Viewed 12962 times

I can't believe how much space was wasted forward of the fuel tank
Going to be a few other exciting mods once we know how the seats fit in.
van seats.jpg
van seats.jpg (16.59 KiB) Viewed 12962 times

Ran into a glitch with the toyota diesel engine looks like I can not get new inserts for the pistons apparently its a turbo diesel block and there are just no inserts left. So may end up going with an acmeadapters kit to fit the original Turbo diesel to the toyota 4X4 transmission, worried about power and maintaining highway speed with the new running gear configuration though. So in the meantime were doing body work.
luckham
Site Admin

Re: Fuel tanks gone, wasted space recovered.

Postby CRSMP5 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:20 pm

what i am going to do on mine is remove my front seat bases, mine far more simple vs yours, and i am going to build a trunk that goes from door to door... then i want to mount the front seats on rotaters so i can spin 360* my seats fold, so the idea is a lid/top of trunk like a aluminum tool box in back of pickup.. mount rotating lids on them for seats...

have drivers side seat fold back so easy access when your out side, then since my seats fold, i can spin the pass seat to face rear, fold, then open lid for easy inside use..

now if i was cruel i could design a bench pass side seat to have 3 sit up front at this point.. make it fold into bed, turn drivers seat so person sleeping up front can kiss my butt space, or put their feet there... sadly, no way to do nice recaro for passenger if i did this..

see my bases are 8" wide boxes like so, just has flat floor across with bracing like yours where your feet are.. id remove shifter hump you have and run flat sheet across, and well 3 more sides with hell of lid for seat mounts.. go look at some of those truck tool boxes.. just look at the storage room i can obtain... hell i wanna design a small tool box to hang on one end... but for now with my current ideas.. storage trunk best..
CRSMP5

Postby luckham » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:27 am

Yea all great ideas I am picking up the seats sunday I have two different sets all folding,
van seast 2.jpg
van seast 2.jpg (11.91 KiB) Viewed 12944 times
the second set has a storage compartment underneath the seat.
vanseat draw.jpg
vanseat draw.jpg (12.5 KiB) Viewed 12944 times

I will be looking closely at the installation and which pair I will use in this project and the other pair may go into one of the other vans. .
vanseat mugs.jpg
vanseat mugs.jpg (10.88 KiB) Viewed 12944 times
I want to make them rotate, a small pedestal seems like the best approach
I am thinking about cutting about 24 inches out of the floor behind the seats where the fuel tank used to be so you could turn around to a collapsible table and have your feet below it. It will be kind of a partial low floor in the end. such a waste of space in these high floors.
luckham
Site Admin

Postby CRSMP5 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:12 pm

ll i want you to stop and rethink...

you got pics of a yellow kubvan with what id call a school bus front seat for 3... but thinking its a 30/70 style folding..

big tackle box under front seats...

if you created a cage type of frame to mount seat in, you could remove the front bench at camp ground, install in kubvan reverse, so on..

the idea behind this is making the tackle box able to be removable.. between the 2 you gpt 2/3rd of a picnic table!!

now if you did a rear bench same way, you have all picnic table..

now if school bus seats folded flat, it would be padded matress to sleep on..

if your under 6" i see no reason one cannot sleep across the front, in the rear, put it sideways against the wall, make for 4 even.. so you have real long matress to cuddle up on..

yes ive been thinking of ways to "live" in my kubvan for a prolonged camping trip.. when headed to washington, ill let you know.. meet up for dinner one day..

make sure to youtube the plant flower pot heaters.. im going to give them eyelets to hang from the cealing with custom way of holdinf fire in..

my fold up table is part of me cabnet on the rear side.. im going to have it fold dwn, all way verticle to hold things into cabnet, or table use.. i just want the seats to have 360* turn for socializing, or what not.. when on camping trips in rain and your the dry spot, sux to have people talk behind your back.. yea table idea works too.. if able to fold flat for bed.. double win..

also, nice high tall back front seat = double sized bed for kids.. unless they the tall kind.. the idea is rear side seat for u and person you wanna cuddle with.. just make sure folds to get people in back easy..
CRSMP5

Postby CRSMP5 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:28 am

you asked bout my fuel tank one day, saw this thought of you..

best parts of the pic.. looking further back then the tank... thats how i mounted my spare tire... and i do not think therew is ant pics of it.. full size matching spare.. so little info/pics for theft protection.. they left room between rail and tank for exhaust..

thats how it is up agaiinst the floor.. this is the "step up back area" both low/high floors share...
CRSMP5

Postby ShelbyPerez » Sun May 08, 2016 10:16 pm

Hi,
Nice posts and could you please share the photos of the kids double photos!
Shop Kas kids online in Australia http://www.clicknbuyaustralia.com/brand/kas-kids/ at sale discount.
ShelbyPerez

Return to What did you do today with your Kubvan