Providing Kubvan info for 21 years, please help support this site

ARP head studs

This was Crsmp5 (burnt toast) original idea, I thought I should promote it to it's own forum as it is has been so popular.

ARP head studs

Postby luckham » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:08 am

Ok I did this a few weeks back but it is the second engine I have done.
I used them first on the Jetta I just finished building for my daughter, I have now done it on my Red Van, my wifes White van is next, got the bolts just need to find the time. The best new thing for VW diesels I have seen in a long time.
In both cases it solved the coolant leak down caused by head pressurization resulting from a leaky head gasket.
head studs.jpg
head studs.jpg (182.12 KiB) Viewed 7047 times

The studs are designed to create and sustain a high torque situation in a high compression situation such as a turbo diesel.
I followed the advice of several others from the postings in other forums and simply replaced the head bolts with these studs,one at a time, without removing the head or changing the gasket. I wish these had been available years ago, I have replaced so many head gaskets in the past, not that I won't have to in the future but certainly these studs give you a lot more life. The bonus is that the studs are reusable so you can reuse them when you do need to do a head gasket or you can stick them in your next engine. Very cool, finally can get rid of those stretch bolts and the unknown torque and continued stretching and warping of the head over time.
luckham
Site Admin

Re: ARP head studs

Postby Jacob » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:16 pm

Peter, did you buy the studs locally, or order them online? I'll be doing up another engine for my van this year, and have been thinking of installing some of these while it's apart.
Ser# 252, Built 4/84, Kubvan ex-Canada Post, ex-sandwich delivery van. 1.6NA w/ governer mod, 5 speed trans conversion.
Jacob

Postby luckham » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:33 pm

Unfortunately I have bought two sets on line now and one set locally, the local set, and not lordco, was 40% more even after shipping.
I bought them online here : http://www.lightningmotorsports.com they were $157.98 US + 38.80 shipping
I like to support my local shop and do normally I bought the first set from them as they were able to get me them the next day out of a warehouse in Vancouver.
luckham
Site Admin

Postby Jacob » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:37 pm

Thx.
Ser# 252, Built 4/84, Kubvan ex-Canada Post, ex-sandwich delivery van. 1.6NA w/ governer mod, 5 speed trans conversion.
Jacob

Return to What did you do today with your Kubvan