Providing Kubvan info for 21 years, please help support this site

Originlal forum with posts here

This was Crsmp5 (burnt toast) original idea, I thought I should promote it to it's own forum as it is has been so popular.

Old what did you do today posts

Postby CRSMP5 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:01 pm

damb odd ohio weather... i gotta drive it.. LOL.. 55*f+ out.. could not help myself..

went to local garage to pop test the 007 kubvan injectors.. so double down :lol:
CRSMP5

Re: what did you do today with your kubvan

Postby Simone » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:42 am

Another cold morning (west coast cold anyway)
Glow plug relay failed, and the van would not start.
I had to hot wire the glow plugs to get it to start.
And off we went to town. It's nice when it's that simple. :D
Simone

Postby CRSMP5 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:38 pm

drove mine again.. LOL.. well i had a stack of brake rotors and other steel that was getting out of hand at work.. so did the OMG use it to get rid of the scrap today... over 1200lbs... the tdi-m had no issue to move it.. like it was not even there.. :lol: got $150 for the scrap though.. :twisted:

and yes the yard people was a loving on my toast..
CRSMP5

Postby CRSMP5 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:32 pm

got 007 red van all done...

he picked up a reman head.. so got it all installed fri, timming and all sat.. planned to finish fri but other work came in and backed it up.. sat night i went to weld his exhaust back, his down pipe welded to the manifold.. :( not discussin that... but my mig did some weird stuff.. and well today picked up $3 worth of pieces to fix it and finished the exhaust tonight.. :P

so he up and runnin again with his 1.6na auto kubvan..
CRSMP5

Postby CRSMP5 » Fri May 11, 2012 8:10 pm

well during last weekends 1000mile road trips... i decided upon how i wanted to build a rear cabnet on the pass side of my toaster...

so today picked up 8 sticks of 2x2x5ft aluminum angle... and built the frame work... tomarrow ill go pick up the dimon plate and go to town coverin my frame work...

the goal... large secure area and place for camping equipment and such.. once that side is done i wanna build a bench seat on the drivers side that will fold into a bed.. :D
CRSMP5

Postby luckham » Mon May 21, 2012 2:27 pm

Spent almost a $1000 on a complete kit of front end parts including half shafts and bearings to rebuild the front end of the red van.
Put it all in just yesterday and oohhhhh does it now run quiet and smooth.
luckham
Site Admin

Postby CRSMP5 » Tue May 22, 2012 4:23 am

that sounds way excessive in cost... ran into friend of 007 other night.. guess it got crunched :( but he gettin it fixed..
CRSMP5

Postby luckham » Tue May 22, 2012 12:01 pm

Yea it surprised me too, included new rotors, new calipers, pads, tie rod ends, wishbone bushings, lower ball joints, both half shafts and bearings.
I will get refunded about $200+ when I take the cores back.

Cheaper than having someone do it.

Sorry to hear about #7, that's what always scares me, I don not what your insurance operators (US) are like but the Canadian's would likely write my van off if I was hit by anything.
I would likely have to take a cash settlement for way less than it's worth and then buy it back.
Once I did the work I would have to have it re certified, it would be a tough go.

PS Found out the hard way that a VW fox hub is 1mm larger in diameter than any of the jetta, golf, rabbits and has a slightly different bearing surface.
The fox hub was the only one I had on hand when I found the old one to badly worn, after machining the stub down, it seized up on the shoulder when the wheel nut was tightened. So I gave up on that idea and picked up a used one when I was in town the next day.

looks like summer is finally starting to show here.
luckham
Site Admin

Postby CRSMP5 » Tue May 22, 2012 12:21 pm

actually it should be rabbit axles new... not fox... but sadly "new axles" use mk2 outter joints.. and have to be machined to fit else the lock up when tightened.. same thing when you goto 100mm axles for say a 02a cable shift conversion..

i have a collectors policy on mine with a 10k stated value.. since it is not my primary transportation i was able to do that.. lots of stipulations.. but free roadside, 0 dectubale, unlimited milage.. up 5$ from last year to 139/year.. just no race/under 23year olds allowed... have to have insurance on another car.. and a garage w lock to keep it in... so its all good... best policy ive ever had..

so with that.. i drive it... :D i figure to rebuild front/rear end will be worst case 7k... only a t bone where it gets major bent into banna shape will cost me my kub.. but for the 7-8k i have in mine.. i can start new.. may take another 15 years to find a lowfloor.. but ill have lost nothing
CRSMP5

Postby Popgadget » Tue May 22, 2012 6:52 pm

My latest "improvement" was to remove the triangular corner glass and rear windows and replace the rubber moulding. My friend with a factory stick shift high floor found the moulding and changed his (as well as the corner glass and windshield with tinted glass). With his help it went really fast. I also dropped in at a VW GTG where his (polished) Kub was there as well.
Im still trying to figure out where the water is getting into the front outside upper corner castings. I have sealed all the rivet heads as well as the seams themselves, but I still get adrip onto the corner window. Has anyone else had any luck chasing these leaks? I'll post this question in the appropriate place as well.
Popgadget

Next

Return to What did you do today with your Kubvan