How wild and woolly can your ride get.
Suspension, Engines, what you go that' not stock

Re: Grumpy Grumman

Postby CRSMP5 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:25 pm

i see how to change the spark plugs now... :lol:
CRSMP5

Postby Pro Metal Shop » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:31 am

Ya CR, I may have to make it a tilt body just to do sevicing. :)
Pro Metal Shop

Postby Pro Metal Shop » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:58 pm

Well made some headway today on the Grump......

I got the fender well headers off, drive shaft, and fuel lines... and then removed the motor and trans..

Then I got out outside hung it in the air with my tractor and pressure washed the frame and it's components.

Tomorrow I'm going to dress up some of the welds and make it look a bit more presentable.... :D :D
Pro Metal Shop

Postby Pro Metal Shop » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:00 pm

Well I ran square dimensional marks on the Grump frame today. I started with a straight bar just behind the steering box and measured from the center gauge hole in the front cross member and cross checked back from the upper arm mounts.

From there I went back to a good marker on the rear frame rails which I chose a factory rivet head....

Right side measures 77 .750 77 3/4 inch

The left side measures 77 .375 77 3/8 inch

That gives me .375 or 3/8 of an inch out of square now divide that in half if they are both out with each other even and that gives you .187 or 3/16 inch.
So that gives me enough to change the perimeter rails. I have some 2 X 5x 3/16 wall so there are a few changes I can make along the way. One get those ugly angle irons off and clean up the whole appearance of the frame. Also they ( previous builder ) went from 32 inches across the front from out side to out side of frame rail to 34 1/8 I guess for choice :D :D

Oh and I pulled the steering box I ordered a quicker manual one and pick it up in Carlisle tomorrow. I also ordered tubular upper and lower control arms with adjustable bushing for caster and urethane bushings, so it should handle better.... And look cool to .... :D :D
Pro Metal Shop

Postby Pro Metal Shop » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:13 am

Well I got some tubing cut today, and removed the front clip of the frame.

Got my center line for my rear cross member marked.

and did my pre-cut

this way I don't have to work so hard to cut in my drive shaft loop after the rear cross member is installed..

and here's how I left it before I came down for some supper.

Guess I'll head back up for a bit to get thing lined up for tomorrow..... :D :D
Pro Metal Shop

Postby Pro Metal Shop » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:15 am

This part of the build cruises right along, and is the most fun part of the build. Today I'm hoping to get the rear clip fabricated, and maybe installed this weekend.
Last evening after dinner, I went back up and got the Front clip level and the perimeter lined up with the front, level and plumb, and tacked in place.

After getting the centers lined up I cross measure to make sure I haven't created a diamond effect, and constantly checking my level side to side, front to back.

Off to the shop :D :D
Pro Metal Shop

Postby Pro Metal Shop » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:51 pm

Well made a bit more progress today, with the frame. I was going to fab a new back half and got looking and with some cleaning up the rear frame rails are in pretty nice shape. Most of the bad was in the center of the chassis and now that I have that taken care of I will just mate the rear half to my new cross member.
I started by cleaning up the rails were they would meet up with the new cross.

This is about were they should go.

Well after removing the lower link bars I clamped some C channel to the bottom of the cross member to rest the rear frame rails on which would keep the guess work out of at least that part of the line up.
After which I tacked the frame rails in place and cross measures to make sure I was were I needed to be.
After tacking in place I removed the rear cross member were as I had no need for two of them with in ten inches of each other, and not to mention it was butt ugly. :D

Tomorrow I will install my drive shaft loop and start to secure more of the frame. :D :D
Pro Metal Shop

Postby Pro Metal Shop » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:54 pm

Just came down for lunch, after starting to tie in the front clip to the side rails.

After I welded inside the rails I was ready to close the outside, I'm using 10 gauge plate to join the clip to the rail.

I'm going to give it a slight bend which will ad strength and save some room.
Looks like I will need about 50 degrees

After a slight bend.

Not quite enough the first time.

That looks as close as I need.

Fast forward , trimmed and clamped in place and tacked.

Well done with lunch, so back at it. :D :D
Pro Metal Shop

Postby Pro Metal Shop » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:55 pm

It was a lot cooler today, but that didn't get the job done any faster. :character0029:
I finished up the front clip except for underneath. I can get that when I strip all the components off it and flip it up side down.

I also got the rear frame rails welded to the rear cross member.

Tomorrow I'm hoping to get the drive shaft safety loop installed, and maybe fit the Grump back on to get a look at were I'm installing body mounts. Im sure not putting those angle iron mounts on. :D:D
Last edited by Pro Metal Shop on Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pro Metal Shop

Postby Pro Metal Shop » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:59 pm

Ok some updates on the Grump, I had less time in this week it just seemed the week flew by...... Well one of the things I needed to do was a simple task but just getting to it seemed impossible. But finally got it tacked in place was my safety loop.

Next I had to clean up a real mess from a previous builder on the front cross member were the motor mounts were installed.

After the clean up

Now I ordered my motor mounts today, but I'm fabricating the frame mounts. I can't put them in place till my motor mounts come in but I started the pieces.

My new steering box and pitman arm came in and mounted up perfectly.

My tubular arms came in today also.

Pro Metal Shop

PreviousNext

Return to Custom & Mods