Providing Kubvan info for 21 years, please help support this site

Got my Van in CA (Almost a year ago...)

Tell us the stroy of how you got you got your van, when you bought it, where it was and and where you are now. Include serial number and year if you can

Got my Van in CA (Almost a year ago...)

Postby Pangloss » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:30 pm

1984 1GWKG21B1EGA00075

I was due for a new daily driver so I started searching all over the country for someone selling a Kubvan, the only car I've ever wanted in my adult life. A few months later I tracked down one for sale, from a guy in TN that had a couple more and just needed to get rid of one. So I managed to buy it from him, get a great deal on getting it shipped out to California. It's got pretty low miles, and as far as I can tell it's been sitting most of it's life.

The day it came home:

Every corner of this thing was either filled with wasps or ladybugs, so we've been calling it the "Bug Box":

The wiring is absolute spaghetti but I've been gradually getting it cleaned up:

And avert your eyes, purists, but the big flat panels needed a chalkboard paintjob until I find something better:

So far I've replaced all the brake lines, master cylinder, misc coolant hoses, started insulating, redone most of the wiring, added a stereo (some old TV speaker and a $20 amp from Amazon), replaced the fuel tank sender, engine thermal sensor, had to get brand new locks, and strip down and reassemble the door latches.

I still need to:
-Figure out how big I can go on the wheels and tires without doing a lot of body and suspension work. I had to call around to a dozen different places to find an 8R13 that wasn't a trailer tire.
-Replace the fuel lines with Viton so I can run a higher percentage of Bio
-Do the 3 Speed Automatic to 5 Speed Manual swap (I tell people it does 0-60 in "eventually")
-Get a single folding bench seat

Then in the way long term I've got some plans to engineer a diesel-electric hybrid system, but that's not until I can save up enough to but a few grand into it.

Overall it's been treating me well, driving and repairs have both been a pleasure, and it should serve me well for years to come. Getting it insured ("OK, how about we call it a 1980 WV Other?" "Does it have seats?"), and getting the VIN verified by the DMV ("Oh, you really wanted us to work today I guess". Took him 3 tries to get the paperwork right) were both an absolute riot.
Pangloss

Re: Got my Van in CA (Almost a year ago...)

Postby luckham » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:17 am

Very nice, my wife wants to do the chalk board thing on her van.
Now we can see what it looks like.

Thanks for the story and the photos
luckham
Site Admin

Re: Got my Van in CA (Almost a year ago...)

Postby luckham » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:23 am

I am running 14 inch rims on all my vans, no problem and my suspension is really beginning to need attention.
I am in the middle of an electric conversion of the Red van
You gotta go 5 speed and turbo, 0 to 100km in not bad, you can leave rubber behind if you like ;)
luckham
Site Admin

Return to Got my Van