Providing Kubvan info for 21 years, please help support this site

not so new kubvan

Tell us the stroy of how you got you got your van, when you bought it, where it was and and where you are now. Include serial number and year if you can

not so new kubvan

Postby roky » Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:12 pm

hello to all, and a big thanks to peter for use of the kubvan manual, as i already just used it to track down a fuel tank issue -- anyway, i bought this kub van, 00082, a 1984, about 20 yrs ago, from a guy in syracuse, ny, who had gotten it and another at auction -- i used it as a camper, and it has been across country twice, including one honeymoon, with stops throughout the southwestern us, and california coast - eventually i wore out the 1500cc engine, and the car has sat for about 15 yrs -- i have now rebuilt the engine and she's running well -- i did drop the speedometer drive gear down into the tranny, and lost fifth gear as a result -- maybe some day i'll fish it out

you will be shocked to know that i replaced the passenger roof with plexiglass(though i saved the inner and outer aluminum panels which i removed) -- sure was great going through the mountains and national parks, though

i'm now finishing her up, to keep for a while, and eventually sell -- i'm missing the gas cap, if anyone knows where to get one, or what type is used(i believe its threaded)

bob
Attachments
SANY2167.JPG
SANY2167.JPG (152.89 KiB) Viewed 16106 times
SANY2162.JPG
SANY2162.JPG (164.77 KiB) Viewed 16106 times
84 Kubvan
81 Mercedes 240D
77 Chev Campervan w/6.2 diesel(my rebuild/install) 25mpg
93 Chev Pickup 4X4
roky

Re: not so new kubvan

Postby luckham » Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:45 pm

Welcome aboard, great story, I often have thought about a skylight and may still put one our camper unit.
IF you reduce the size of the pictures before posting it saves scrolling.
You can still edit your posting if you wanted to fix the pic's otherwise I can go in and fix it for you.

Happy travels
luckham
Site Admin

Postby roky » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:47 am

SANY2169.JPG
SANY2169.JPG (188.13 KiB) Viewed 11061 times
thanks again for reducing those pics, will attend to that next time

got to thinking, it was at least 4 coast to coast camping trips -- always found it to be a bit hairy at times on the interstates, what with the tractor trailers, etc. -- and once in oklahoma, had a headwind that i swear i could barely make progress -- i would use the 5th gear as much as possible, to get about 35mpg, but really, with the 1500cc engine, often couldn't do it

but on curvey roads, always did like the way it handled -- would use it to tour places like zion national park, with both doors open, and with the enormous moon roof(a sheet of tinted plexiglass from lowes, very cheap)-- my wife has a bad back, and on those long cross-country trips, she swore it was the most comfortable ride she's ever had, including our current mercedes -- we believe it has to do with the upright sitting position, with legs not extended forward -- and of course, walking in and out was so nice, even if you're not a delivery person

i worked myself through college rebuilding air-cooled vws, then moved on to rabbits, gas, then diesel -- then one day was driving my kubvan, met an old german mechanic, driving a mercedes, and he said, "you're car is nice, but what you really need is a mercedes" -- i laughed, then he enlightened me to the amazing mercedes diesel, and there was no turning back, i'm now on my third(see photo), this one from phoenix, az, like new body, 120k(just a baby), was $4000
84 Kubvan
81 Mercedes 240D
77 Chev Campervan w/6.2 diesel(my rebuild/install) 25mpg
93 Chev Pickup 4X4
roky

Postby CRSMP5 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:51 pm

1.5 is 78-80.. 1.6 started in 81...

i gots big 1.9 in mine.. took it to cali back in nov... towed car home with it too..

i built 397 for guy in 97 with gasser engine as he was doing 2 trips from nyc to cali a year in his... 337 and up are usually low floors.. more room in back.. so he would pull camper trailer.. store his vespa inside.. he has one of those old 60s german areba (sp??) well 2 of them.. to pull behind it..
CRSMP5

Postby luckham » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:42 pm

Just converting to a turbo diesel makes a huge difference in perfromance.
We drove from Vancouver island, BC to Banff , Alberta 1000km fully loaded with kids and camping gear we were able to make good headway all the way up the mountains and still had fuel in the tank when we got there.
luckham
Site Admin

Postby HD54KH » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:18 pm

Welcome aboard, wow 2 stories of Kubs making long distance treks. I have a temporary tranny in mine (FN) and does not give me a very high end in the speed department. I'm hoping to drive mine to North Carolina next year (Feb/March 14), it is a little pegged at 60 MPH and need to downshift on long upgrades.

Those Mercedes are such good cars, I miss mine (300CD) and now wish I still had it. I traded it for a different car that I still have and will forever keep so at the time it made sense.

Terry
!985 Kubvan Model 120 #385 Built 11/84
1.6 N/A 5 Speed
Low interior deck
Swinging full length doors in rear
2 Tank Waste Vegetable Oil Conversion
HD54KH

Postby Jacob » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:41 pm

An FN trans should have a .71 5th, and a 3.89 final. It's the same trans I've got in my Kub. and I can cruise at 80mph, no prob. I've been from Vancouver Island down to Oregon a couple times in the past year in my van. I swapped out the driver's seat for one out of a Chevy Lumina, and I find it very comfy.
Ser# 252, Built 4/84, Kubvan ex-Canada Post, ex-sandwich delivery van. 1.6NA w/ governer mod, 5 speed trans conversion.
Jacob

Return to Got my Van