Providing Kubvan info for 21 years, please help support this site

Tell us the stroy of how you got you got your van, when you bought it, where it was and and where you are now. Include serial number and year if you can

Postby Popgadget » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:50 pm

This Kubvan basically found me. It hadn't run in 10 years and was sitting in a field behind a friend's house. Friends of his bought two of them brand new for their business back in 1984. One of them had the rear trailing arm support torn out of it, my friend repaired it, and took the other one in trade for the work, as it wasnt running either.

Fast forward a batch of years and many conversations later. My friend shows up at my place with a KubVan filled to the brim with trash on a trailer. It was pretty discouraging looking, but I unload it and parked outside my shop. It took a week or so of part time cleaning and a dumpster full of trash to get it so I could actually evaluate what I had.

It turned out to be in excellent condition, or at least the aluminum Grumman parts were. All of the steel parts like brake and fuel lines, rotors, drums axles, exhaust, all brake parts, including parking brake cables were junk. The first order of business was to try and start it. Turns out it didn't have enough compression to start, but by now I had decided I wanted arrive able KubVan.

So I pulled the engine and transmission, and disassembled the engine. It was a reasonable candidate for an overhaul. It needed to be bored, but the crank and cam were in good condition and standard dimensions. I ordered a rebuild kit from Parts Place that included oversize pistons and rings as well as all gaskets, seals, intake and exhaust valves & seals, cylinder head bolts, oil & water pumps, new fuel injectors, glow plugs and all hoses. I also replaced the alternator, and overhauled the starter. Turned out that the head had previous weld repairs that I didn't like the looks of, so I found a serviceable head and put all the new parts in it.

Now it was time for the chassis. New axles, wheel bearings, rotors, drums, calipers, wheel cylinders, parking brake cables, wiper blades, mirrors, window regulators, door handles, hood latch cable and latch pins, all heater push pull cables, 14" alloy "bottle cap" VW wheels and 185/70-R14 tires which end up within a few percent in circumference of the 175/80 R13 OEM wheels and tires that were not available.

Now that it's all together and has about 5,000 miles on it, it's been a very reliable driver, I use it all the time. It had some electrical gremlins that took a while to troubleshoot, mostly related to high resistance connections in things as varied as the park switch in the wiper motor to the neutral lockout on the shifter.

I still have a couple of very minor water leaks to sort out, but over all it's "good as new", and probably cost me more than its new purchase price. (Does any one know what they sold for new?)
Popgadget

Re: #157

Postby CRSMP5 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:23 pm

i am thinking a caddy was around 7k... kubs were more.. ill have to talk to my friend in cali to see if his dealer lit has any info on price.. he has original pamplets and such... one day ill have scans/pics. .
CRSMP5

Postby Popgadget » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:02 pm

It would be really cool to see scans of those brochures. You ought to nag him a little bit.
Popgadget

Postby CRSMP5 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:26 pm

naggin no work... hell i cannot convence him to even reg his vin #s here... will take me going to san-fran to see the stuff.. then ill photo it reallly nicely.. :D he has had the info and such for over 15 years... says he got it way before his first kubvan... that was 95ish..

if you make it to mk1madness.. the smoker/cook guy would be able to fill this in for you.. the dealer he worked at sold a few.. he had to keep fixing the broken shifters grumman had used..
CRSMP5

Return to Got my Van