Providing Kubvan info for 21 years, please help support this site

'83 KurbWatt, ex WSDOT

Tell us the stroy of how you got you got your van, when you bought it, where it was and and where you are now. Include serial number and year if you can

'83 KurbWatt, ex WSDOT

Postby karmann eclectric » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:55 pm

Donated for educational purposes by a local enthusiast, "Sylvester" runs now, but is being refurbished with a group of high school auto shop students. We've rebuilt the rear brakes (VW Dasher/Passat= Audi Fox/80) and will bleed 'em tomorrow. This one has the GE 5BT1346B51 motor, a Curtis 1221 controller that's rated for 144V nominal with 11 AGM batteries, Group 27 Deka Dominators. Anyways, the plan is to install a pack of lithium-ion cells that rest entirely in the original roll-out battery tray, opening up the motor bay. A high capacity 12V house battery will also go lithium, located either in the box under the (RHD) driver's seat, or the front battery tray. We may place the new battery charger from Manzanita Micro under the drivers seat.
Charging will we upgraded to the J1772 standard for safety and performance.
Motor controller to be a Zilla 1k.
The heater relay appears to be stuck on, and that sucker turns cherry red in a hurry without any airflow! It let out an acrid cloud of smoke during discovery, till I pulled the wire, then the fuse.
Last edited by karmann eclectric on Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
karmann eclectric

Re: '83 KurbWatt, ex WSDOT

Postby CRSMP5 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:26 pm

My friend wants to lipo his....he dd his for work in san fran.... He has all the goodies like factory batt rack to slide the tray out down to factory books on electrical system and all... Most complete set of info ive ever seen in 1 place. Getting used to using the clutch is so hard... Easy to smoke it...

His master failed for the brakes, so he is in the process of fitting german pedals n booster as replaement masters leak due to the redesign of how the bottle fits in. I am glad the school kids getta see one.. Just rember... Only few people can have... Soits a piece of history
CRSMP5

Postby luckham » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:26 am

CRSMP5 wrote: factory books on electrical system

It would be awesome to get copies of these on to this site.
I would be happy to pay for scanning to PDF, pass my contact info on.
I would then post them on the website.

Happy travels
luckham
Site Admin

Postby CRSMP5 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:19 am

I tried... Trust me.... What i am hoping is either school did not get all the goodies where he may share with said school... Or school got them all and is willing to share.... I expect dec 2017 ill visit the books again...

Why i told school person of said info... Info holder is a hordee that does not share which kinda sad
CRSMP5

Postby karmann eclectric » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:16 pm

Somewhat confused, CRSMP5- did your friend in SanFran also donate his Kurbwatt to a school? I have no more documentation than is posted here.
I'd love to even just see photos of the original battery trolley, as I need to build one.
I'm considering fabricating a replacement battery tray to fit whatever new Lithium batteries I wind up with. The original had its bulkheads hacked out during a previous battery replacement, so has been weakened. Also, I would like to make a trailer to hold the battery tray, enabling use of the tray as a range extension trailer behind my other EVs! The current pack of Group 27 Deka Dominators is tired and the installation was a PO kludge.
karmann eclectric

Postby CRSMP5 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:52 pm

He has grumman blueprints for its dolly tray thinggy... No i think i can convence him to copy his info for a school... But i know he will not copy it for online due to the shady ebay people who sell it for good money... Sending you a pm...
CRSMP5

Return to Got my Van