Providing Kubvan info for 21 years, please help support this site

My Grump

Post Pictures here and I will load them into the banner slide show

Re: My Grump

Postby CRSMP5 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:38 pm

im gettin ready to pull oops apart to get the engine sitting in it properly (so crooked it must be a politician), rebuild the seized front suspntion.. and tackle the horrid wiring mods that it has.. when engine out i plan to see what i have to do to fix the rf corner as its not square.. plans are to have it attend the mk1madness in july along with mine.. engine/suspention required for that trip..
CRSMP5

Postby Pro Metal Shop » Tue May 01, 2012 5:01 am

Very cool, keep me updated, would be interesting to see. We have had thoughts of building one from scratch for my wife, that would be diesel powered.
We thought maybe after we complete our other projects, we would start one for next year. I would make small changes in design to make it ours and maybe with a bit of the 1940's and 50's era added. They are very simple to build and the are really no compound panels which we would add to ours.
Just a thought for a future build. :D :D
Pro Metal Shop

Postby luckham » Tue May 22, 2012 7:18 pm

Wow what a job. Sorry I did not get a chance to get back here sooner to see these great pics.
I am really interested in seeing how the frame work and rear end are mounted.
I am not building a hot rod but am building a 4X4 with a rear diff, the doner vehicle is a toyota 4 runner.
luckham
Site Admin

Postby luckham » Tue May 22, 2012 9:41 pm

Just a note on the "short front bumper", thats not a bad thing, I find that the parking lot dings (or parallel parking) of which the drivers around here seem to be fond of doing have a tendency to bend the bumper in around the corner and dent the side panels. They ideally would be made out of a stronger material or reinforced on the back side some how.

Anyway good luck, I think I would find another van before I built from scratch, we have a his and hers, it`s kinda fun.
luckham
Site Admin

Postby Pro Metal Shop » Fri May 25, 2012 6:47 pm

Hi Luckham
Yea, I like the short front bumper. The rear dif in the Grump is a nine inch ford on leaf spring. I'm struggling with changing from leaf to ladder bar because the leaf rides so much smoother. It really needs a new set of frame rails, and maybe even a nine inch housing to clean up some of the welds and shock placement. That coupled with new body mounts and clean up the way the floor was cut to fit the frame that's in it now. Not to say the last fellow didn't do a good job but did the job with what he had to work with. I just have a habit of making things my way, that makes me feel more comfortable. :D :D
Pro Metal Shop

Postby luckham » Fri May 25, 2012 8:01 pm

Yea well well it comes to the frame and suspension you want it right, especially with all the horse power you got tied in to that diff.
If it's just a vdub engine or even the 2.1 lite toyota I am putting in you have room for a little slop.

Ladder not familiar with that ?, can you send some pics of how the leafs are presently tied in.

Great looking vehicle love to see it running one day, some video at the drag strip would be cool, specially leaving somebody else behind :)

Happy truckin
luckham
Site Admin

Postby Pro Metal Shop » Sat May 26, 2012 4:39 am

I will get some pictures of the underside here soon, I have a customers 55 Chevy on the lift but may be moving it off for the weekend and put the Grump on. I will post some pictures of a ladder bar suspension, it's basically a three link unlike the four link.
The four link have more freedom in its movement and more adjustability. They both use a panard bar or track locator to keep the rear tracking.
I like to use a wishbone locator which softens the ride, especially on a street driven car or truck. If you need any help , please ask, it may save you a lot of time and help with ride quality and safety.
My contact info is prometalshop@gmail.com, I write a pile of tech issues for a few sites and have lots of content I can shuffle over here so to give you ideas on what may work better for your project. :D
Pro Metal Shop

New Forum

Postby luckham » Sat May 26, 2012 8:34 am

Just created a new forum section, Custom & Mods.

Great place to upload this kinda stuff, with thanks !!!
luckham
Site Admin

Postby Pro Metal Shop » Sat May 26, 2012 7:22 pm

Cool, great idea ! ! :D
Pro Metal Shop

Previous

Return to Photo Album