Providing Kubvan info for 21 years, please help support this site

My Grump

Post Pictures here and I will load them into the banner slide show

My Grump

Postby Pro Metal Shop » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:44 pm

Here are some more pictures of my Grumman .

Pro Metal Shop

Re: My Grump

Postby CRSMP5 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:15 pm

different i can say... whats the last 4 of the vin number? kinda a tracking thing..

so i see the knob between the seats.. stick or auto?

hows is the master hooked up to thebrakes? almpst looks like its cable..

whats it got for front suspention?

on july 13-15th in p is a vw car show... its up in the gen talk section i think.. for directions.. yea it may not be a vw.. but i am trying to get 4-8 kubs to attend for camping/screwing around.. being motor heads that we are at the show.. it would still be neet to have you show up if you wanted with it..

yes the mods are "sacrilidge" in a kubvan owners society.. LOL.. v8 rwd.. vs vw/electric/ford.. but same token it had to take some planning out to do such a mod.. im sure lots are like why not ruin a newer s10 version vs the rair fwd set up.. but ill admit.. i want to see it as well looks interesting and well thought out via pics..

once you can get the doors to open all the way... you will enjoy the freedom riding with them open gives.. ots one of the most fun parts..
CRSMP5

Postby Pro Metal Shop » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:41 am

Hi Cr
The shifter in the between the seats is the auto stick for the turbo 400 transmission. I do realize some Kubvan owners will cringe at the thought of the mods done to my Kubvan. However I did not do them but I will will refine them. The fellow that did the mods only had so much to work with, were as I have a full time custom hot rod shop. This will give the Kubvan a chance to live its life as a very well re-engineered hot rod never ment to be.
The last four numbers are 9018 :D:D
Pro Metal Shop

Postby CRSMP5 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:41 am

never seen one with a 9 on it (ill assume its supposed to be a 0)... but 0019 is in colorado.. LOL.. interesting how 018 is in pa.. oops is 0010.. but... so is one in co too.. still gotta figure out how 2 are 0010.. im still tryin to find another (matched) pair to see how its possible.. the year digit should in theory do this.. why i am courious.. to see if they reset the last digit each year or not.. that would all of a sudden make many more kubs then thought..

no idea if you found the forum or divemasters then clicked the link.. but http://www.divemaster.ca/kubvans/ is the admin's main page on kubvans.. thats where serieal number info and such is located..
CRSMP5

Postby Pro Metal Shop » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:02 pm

No it is a 9018 matches title :? Well I did a search for Grumman Kubvan, in google images. The clicking on one of pictures, opening in a sideways roller deck the picture up front that previously clicked would have a link. That lead me to the Grumman forum, only later finding divemaster link.
Oddly enough my Grumman is titled as a 1978 Volkswagen, but the vin matches the title.
Pro Metal Shop

Postby Pro Metal Shop » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:27 pm

A few more pictures. Well if I didn't mention before the Kubvan has a 454 big block Chevy engine with approximately 450 horse power. The motor I'm puting in the Kubvan is a 402 big block , with less cubic inch but close to 100 more horse power. It's very drivable and still will net about 15 to 18 mpg because theres no weight issues. Needless to say the Kubvan is extremely fast. Have not ran it yet at a track but with past experience it's capable of the low 10 second or high 9's in the quarter mile.
I just have to get my 402 fired up on a run stand, and adjust the valves set the carb and timing, and it's ready to bolt up to my new turbo 400 TCI transmission and street and strip 3000 stall converter.
I can't wait to take it threw town, hauling on our open trailer get a great response, lots of smiles and thumbs up. :mrgreen:

Pro Metal Shop

Postby CRSMP5 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:25 pm

dont see many rear barn door ones.. but i gotta ask... when up does it work like a rear wing :P
CRSMP5

Postby Pro Metal Shop » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:23 am

Well CR , it dose lack aero :D:D so you think there were lift doors ?
Pro Metal Shop

Postby CRSMP5 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:45 am

like you have?? yep kinda rair vs 2 doors on back.. ive heard of a few having a roll up rear door.. but never seen pics of it.. but newer postal s10 versions have them..

you will just have to do the porsche opps test... know why 911 got big waletails?? some mistake of not closing the engine cover during a windtunnel test.. they found with it open the areodynamics were improved.. :D
CRSMP5

Postby Pro Metal Shop » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:07 pm

Some mistakes are good ! ! ! Like me not buying the OOPS truck when it came up for sale ! ! ! BUT i did end up with a Kubvan and wasn't even looking. :shock: I don't think at this point I would ever part with it now, it makes a great shop mascot, and sounds killer. :mrgreen: I have to get it tagged for the road here in a few weeks then maybe start on some of the sheet metal work. I want to fab a rear rolled pan for it since it has no rear bumper. I noticed mine has a short front bumper and most others have one that wraps around the corners were mine stops short of the corner. I got my order of 3003 H13 aluminum in to start replacing some of the panels that were drilled or bent. I have a stock of rivets just have to see if there a match with whats there.
Pro Metal Shop

Next

Return to Photo Album