Providing Kubvan info for 21 years, please help support this site

New member, questions about high floor TDI(ALH) conversion

Conversations about Vans event etc
Forum rules
This is a general section topics that are specific will be moved to the relevant section if it seems misplaced.

New member, questions about high floor TDI(ALH) conversion

Postby Thatguy » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:47 am

Hey guys, I know this is a small number of people. A couple of years ago a high floor no engine fell into my lap and I haven't had time nor did I have a good work space to do a conversion. It just sat in my yard, no engine until now when I finally have a good work space. I've got an ALH 99 TDI New Beetle acquired from my business co-owner's mom with complete maintenance records, 170k miles and I've driven it about 10k miles now, enough to know there's zero mechanically wrong with it and it burns pretty much 0 oil. For you guys that have done the TDI swaps before, is it worth it to just use the ALH beetle I've got or go find an AHU driver?
Thatguy

Re: New member, questions about high floor TDI(ALH) conversi

Postby CRSMP5 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:21 pm

The immo is the downfall.... Speedo, key, computer match set... Gotta use it all or will not run....

A rover 300 tdi fuel pump from the uk, makes that go away... And makes it like stock 1 wire operation...

The rover pump directly fits the nb set up... Pump bracket needs modded to fit older ones, not a hard thing...

The motor mount by t belt is hardest item, can buy from nothing leves stock, or build your own...

Then last issue is serp belt and alt set up... Not got into how to eliminate ac and ps to operate the alt

Whats your location? I have a good running long block and roverpump to sell...

Also the turbo would be a issue to run a rover pump as its vnt run by computer... A old style waste gate turbo resolves that
CRSMP5

Postby Thatguy » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:12 pm

Live in northwestern south carolina, near Tennessee Georgia and NC. I thought you were from Texas, is that right? I don't think the 99 beetle has the standard immobilizer? It definitely doesn't have the start/stop like I saw in a 02 (I think) before. The car just won't start and the alarm goes off. One of these nights after work I'll read through the beetle service manual and figure out how different it is. I'm very experienced in 1.6s and the MkII I just don't know much from TDI up. I know there is or used to be some big vw guy on tdiclub/vwvortex up near asheville, that's about 1.5 hours away.

Yeah I read through the faq real quick, I can't tell whether it's immo 2 or not. It doesn't turn on ever if the key isn't programmed, the alarm just turns on until I reset it at the hatch or the driver door and there's no standard immobilizer icon on the dash.
Thatguy

Postby CRSMP5 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:39 am

Se ohio by ou.... Texas too hot... Im still trying to find a long lasting turbo set up for mine... Ate 2 stock ones already from overboost...

Imo... Keep the bug going till you sell or crash it, id find a longblock, rover pump, if i had the cash id try the holset turbo and a nicetranny for all the power... I lack a tranny set up for my longblock.. Keep wanting to install with no turbo but rover pump so i can play with a na di mechanical... Just to see how effecent arou.d town with no boost ever does... Cause i know td vs na round town i see 5mpg differance... I bet 60-70mpg could be gotten...
CRSMP5

Return to Kubvan News and General Chat