Providing Kubvan info for 21 years, please help support this site

tire & wheels??

Conversations about Vans event etc
Forum rules
This is a general section topics that are specific will be moved to the relevant section if it seems misplaced.

Re: tire & wheels??

Postby CRSMP5 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:43 am

My 195/50-15 in under 50f wet are unsafe to drive in rain due to weight, hp.... All they do is spi+... Why do you need wider? My dials are et 53 i redrilled my rear drumbs to 5x130, enen with its drop plates, figure good 1/4" thick, i have not fit issue in the rears as far as doors.... No rubbing when loaded.... Up front with 25mm h&r adapter again no issues... 2ith out the rear drop pl@tes it could fit what you seek.... But my 7" wide wheels n tires suck in the wet
CRSMP5

Postby CRSMP5 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:26 pm

Another thought.... How long are the lug bolts? If that area of the wheel can loose a few mm of thickness, in effect a higher et so further in then the quarters... Some are meaty in that area and could be the best cure
CRSMP5

Postby shortysclimbin » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:38 am

you have rear leaf springs correct? That might be the difference as I have the rear beam and shock combo. To be honest the setup didn't have too bad a time in the rain but I also wasn't going very fast with the auto 1.6na... I also have some great tires for wet conditions on it right now which I am sure helps. I am actually going to do exactly what you mentioned and potentially cut down the rims thickness to change the ET of them. This hopefully will gain me said clearance and maybe even a bit more for wider tires down the road. I'll post pics up when I finish up with it.
shortysclimbin

Postby CRSMP5 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:47 am

Tdi-m = 3x your hp.... Its also take off on hill from dead stop...

Now if you can get it up to 70mph, in the right rainstorm, the wind with doors open mind ya, can push you into the lane ofcars your passing.... Did that once and my passenger was poopin bricks... Im like not me.... Lol... Sideways ito lane quite impressive... Was quite warm out too....
CRSMP5

Postby luckham » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:15 pm

Yea I had that door rubbing problem when I was running offset rims, I just went back to the original rims.
Up here in the north I try to keep the door tight to keep the cold out.
I have got new rubber from the step van supply place on the net.
What did you use for new front and rear springs and shocks
luckham
Site Admin

Postby shortysclimbin » Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:28 am

for the front I used mk3 progressive sports springs (1" lower than stock mk3) I then added those on top of rebuilt mk1 struts with Bilstein HD inserts. (those made a huge difference in the front end from oem. It stays planted much better now with this front end with new stock bushings.

For the rear I used progressive jeep cherokee springs (the cheapest ones from Jegs ~$60 shipped for both!) I then cut them down for the rear leaving the tighter coils section for on the car. These springs are much heavier duty than the stock but seam softer for the initial 1" of travel. Then the K value increases significantly. The shocks are Monroe sensatracks, nothing fancy but they should work well enough for now. I may eventually go with a better shock once I figure out how the rear handles with those springs.

CRSMP5 - Have you done anything to reduce cross wind effects on your van? I am wondering if maybe pop hatches in the rear windows would help? Also is it the front or rear that moves first? Maybe adding some weight underneath to frame might help bring it to be better balanced. What speeds do you bring your tdim upto?
shortysclimbin

Postby CRSMP5 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:35 pm

Wind run.... Side ways... Like in one lane.... Pushed over inbetween 2 cars right now... No front/rear... Dead nuts into lane like round peg in square hole...

Speeds.... Hmmmm ive got gps in 3 digits not foot to floor...( 1.5 speed record of the time back before lime green rampage smoked it last year). I can say 40+mpg if rununder 55mph... And every 10mph above that i loose 4mpg.... Even towing.... So its a wind vs load that effects the mpg... On cali trip towing car back... Down i5... 55mph due to cali tow laws i got 40+mpg... On way there lotsa 80mph limits... 28mpg... Same towing on way back... 70 gets me average 35mpg... Unless lots of head winds....

I can high center it on my 2.25" straight pipe... So id say no air under it like stock... The day i build my front spoiler to keep air out rest of way i expect i can
Last edited by CRSMP5 on Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CRSMP5

Postby CRSMP5 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:47 pm

A few mpg.... I wanna add set croch vents to the rear quarters like the tempo versions have and s10... Like rear pop open windows of past, but its more so the back of box can suck air thru vs buffling around... And like i daid.. Doors were open for the sideways move... Only time ive ever gotten wet from door open drive in rain...

Im just saying... 7" wide wheels with 195/50-15 is more then you need... Stock was much more narrow... Why go thru all the effort for a 205...

My dials are light vs most 15s... Add in the fronts adapters they become most 15s weight.. Your really killing your mpg... Any 1.6na ive put 15s on went back to 14x6 pretty quick as 5mpg was easy to loose... Add in auto... Id look for set of 15x6 passat syncro forged "la castlettes" as a kubvan is worthy... Tons of 14"... 15" version canada only... And since passat syncro only... Hard to find... But hellish light..
CRSMP5

Postby CRSMP5 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:53 pm

Since it would be a nice et, only 6" wide... Light, strong... No vw logo.. Have billit blank center caps... So polish to mirror... Even 14s polished i bet would look sharp... And with a 1.6na auto... Will be much better to stop or accel..

P.s. Phone hates long posts... Why 3

I had my dials on my 90b3 1.6td 020 swapped wagon... Had 14" castlettes on it and only lost 1mpg... In the past i put others on said passat and lost 5mpg.... Why i wasting time sharin my experiance... Really need to find another set for the b3... Looked nice on it...
CRSMP5

Previous

Return to Kubvan News and General Chat