Providing Kubvan info for 21 years, please help support this site

tire & wheels??

Conversations about Vans event etc
Forum rules
This is a general section topics that are specific will be moved to the relevant section if it seems misplaced.

tire & wheels??

Postby Rudy » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:41 am

I have a Kubvan that has I believe to be the stock 13 inch steel wheels.
I would like to put the tallest tire that I can on this truck in hopes of lowering the engine speed "RPMs"

Can anyone give any advice or has done this already.

Thank you,
charles
Rudy

Re: tire & wheels??

Postby Jacob » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:39 pm

Convert it to a 5 spd. You won't be sorry.
Ser# 252, Built 4/84, Kubvan ex-Canada Post, ex-sandwich delivery van. 1.6NA w/ governer mod, 5 speed trans conversion.
Jacob

Postby CRSMP5 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:35 pm

by the wiper motor is a plaque to tell stock tire size... NLA size at that... mine came with 185-80s.. but you could see where tire had rubbed on some of the aluminum supports above the front tires...

with a 3" drop.. and 195-50-15s they do not rub... like the po tires did at some point.. no idea if it had broken springs or what.. but again wore holes thru the aluminum supports.. so thats your limiting factor on tire height... also the lower spring perch on strut housing hampers height and tire width.. but stock 13x4.5" wheels should be little issue..

width limiting factor if rear wheel quarter panels... too much poke it can cut them... on the 13x4.5" wide wheel... mine came with... had 1.5" of room... so in theory up to a 14x6 should fit... with stock vw off set wheels... my 15x7 are a et53 to fit... which stock is 38ish max.. but had to tuck a inch which worked well..

why do i reliterate 13x4.5" not a common width.. it was mostly a westy pa wheel size.. jettaas got 13x5.5 bunnies got 13x5... but diesel westy got 13x4.5 and well affects how tall vs wide you can go.. aka strut housing fittings.. inset too much, too tall.. rubs.. the 4.5" wide wheels the skinnest thing they used.. i love for snow tires as you can pack wheel wells with lotsa snow.. pluuse goes thru snow better... but suck at speed on warm day vs a 14x6 wheel..
CRSMP5

Postby Popgadget » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:12 am

I'm running 185/70-14's on 14" "Bottlecap" VW wheels as they're very close to the same circumference as the 155/80-13 that were the stock size.
They won't increase your final drive ratio, but they fit with no interference problems anywhere.
I would agree that the 5 speed is the best solution. While mine is an automatic, I occasionally drive a friends that's a 5sp with a 1.6 IDI turbo, and the difference is significant.
Popgadget

Postby CRSMP5 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:17 am

his kubvan...

auto sucks up 80% of the hp vs stick... the swap alone worth the feeling of i got air in my tires now... the turbo helps too.. but the swap will mak eit a differance of i like to drive vs i love to drive..
CRSMP5

Postby Popgadget » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:01 pm

Yup that's my Kub.
Are you saying that 80% of the power developed by the engine is consumed by the auto transmission rather than transmitted through it?
Popgadget

Postby CRSMP5 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:42 pm

go drive a na 5 speed.. even 4 speed... that torque converter takes alot... id road trip a 1.6na 4/5 speed... to drive them side by side you would get rid of auto next day... if you were not a pureist.. :D

its like you turned off the ac, pumped the tires up to 35 and started down hill when you go to move from dead stop..

ever drive a vanagon diesel or dasher diesel?? the only things ive ever driven that gets off the line worse...
CRSMP5

Postby Rudy » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:37 am

Rudy wrote:I have a Kubvan that has I believe to be the stock 13 inch steel wheels.
I would like to put the tallest tire that I can on this truck in hopes of lowering the engine speed "RPMs"

Can anyone give any advice or has done this already.

Thank you,
charles

Thanks Jacob,

Good advice for me it's hind sight is 20-20 as I bought a new re-man auto trans $1650.00 so I must stick with it L

You are right about the manual trans…..

rudy
Rudy

Postby Rudy » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:40 am

CRSMP5 wrote:by the wiper motor is a plaque to tell stock tire size... NLA size at that... mine came with 185-80s.. but you could see where tire had rubbed on some of the aluminum supports above the front tires...

with a 3" drop.. and 195-50-15s they do not rub... like the po tires did at some point.. no idea if it had broken springs or what.. but again wore holes thru the aluminum supports.. so thats your limiting factor on tire height... also the lower spring perch on strut housing hampers height and tire width.. but stock 13x4.5" wheels should be little issue..

width limiting factor if rear wheel quarter panels... too much poke it can cut them... on the 13x4.5" wide wheel... mine came with... had 1.5" of room... so in theory up to a 14x6 should fit... with stock vw off set wheels... my 15x7 are a et53 to fit... which stock is 38ish max.. but had to tuck a inch which worked well..

why do i reliterate 13x4.5" not a common width.. it was mostly a westy pa wheel size.. jettaas got 13x5.5 bunnies got 13x5... but diesel westy got 13x4.5 and well affects how tall vs wide you can go.. aka strut housing fittings.. inset too much, too tall.. rubs.. the 4.5" wide wheels the skinnest thing they used.. i love for snow tires as you can pack wheel wells with lotsa snow.. pluuse goes thru snow better... but suck at speed on warm day vs a 14x6 wheel..

Thanks crsmp5,

Good info food for thought……..

rudy
Rudy

Postby shortysclimbin » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:43 am

OK I have a high floor with I am assuming a 3" drop (control arms are level) on 195/50/15 (rims are Ronal Turbo R10 15x7x 37J offsets) currently the van runs great on these and I have no issues for the front rubbing, but the rear when the doors are locked back I am rubbing off the lower portion of the door seals, and If I corner hard I can just lightly rub the top outer edge of the tire with the rear quarter panel. This was the Previous owners setup.

I recently have changed to new front springs and rear springs (higher spring rates progressive coils & larger dampener pistons) which may have raised it up ~.5" I'm hoping this removes most of the door and fender issues but I have a few things I am considering; has anyone tried these?

1) Has anyone angled the lower door rails to hold the door out farther away from the tires when locked open? How did you do it? And where might I get new door seals?

2) Has anyone ran wider tires than these? I would like to step up to a 205/50/r15 which is .40" wider and .40" larger Diameter I want to do this so that I can get that 5% larger tire patch over the current config or %25 over stock. I know offset is going to need to change a bit, but I don't know if they can fit.

shortysclimbin

Next

Return to Kubvan News and General Chat