Providing Kubvan info for 21 years, please help support this site

Front Shock and struts???

Wheels, brakes, springs etc

Front Shock and struts???

Postby chriskent85 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:30 am

So here's the issue. I'm replacing the shocks inserts on the front struts, well the factory struts have rust holes in the the spring bucket. i got some inserts and the to use until i got new struts in, the inserts are what they call 90/10 , So the shock stays all the way out, i just got the new struts in (the only one i could find) and they are 50/50 the shock shaft stays in all the way. i thought the shock was dead, i was gonna try to put the new shock insert into the new strut but the new strut doesnt have a nut to hold the insert in it had a top thast is pressed on. what should i do??
chriskent85

Re: Front Shock and struts???

Postby chriskent85 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:57 am

http://www.overnightautoparts.com/store ... 1732+11921

bout half way down is the struts i got
chriskent85

Postby CRSMP5 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:45 am

well for a mk1... there are 2 different strut housings... a external threaded nut and internal one..

the external nut insert will not fit into a internal nut housing.. ... but a internal style insert will fit in a external nut housing with a spacer at the top...

think kyb has the spacer... but boge/sachs sells for what it is... along with bilstine...

i am not understanding your other 90/10 things... but what i do know is gas protrudes... non gas will sink in..

sadly boge was taken over by sachs and IMO sachs quality sucks... they ruined the boge brand..

ive always felt kyb was way too stiff..

bilstine warnetee blows... aka send it to them.. wait upwards of 12 mo for a replacement... :x

still trying to decide what to do on mine... i can get a set of front coil-overs for 600ish from st... :( but no idea how their warentee works.. and is think 2 year at that :(

so i still seek a old old nib set of boge turbo gas in yellow color.. or old old set of bilstines... new ones quality not so good... was less then 3 mo old when i had to warentee the one.. that took 12 mo for a replacement..
CRSMP5

Postby chriskent85 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:03 pm

chriskent85

Postby CRSMP5 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:44 pm

ive never used the jap brand ones... so cannot commint... ive used bilstine, boge since 89... till my kubvan ive always had a stash... well no more stash :(

the kubvan came with cofap on it.. they were new.. highly unimpressed.. but they work till i find what i seek.. they are not gas.. they are a little floaty/soft.. and dislike lowering springs.. bottoms out way too easy..

the boge pro gas i picked up in 98 on my 84 coupe i love... but they stiff...

the bilstines on my 81 coupe are softer... picked them up used years ago...

the old yellow boge turbo gas.. are great... softest of the bunch.. but stiffer then non gas.. its along the lines of a stock gti/gli suspention.. but in 96ish they went from yellow to black, were valved softer.. and ruined them IMO.. why i did the pro gas in 98 on my 84 coupe.. it had the yellows on it.. and i had another mk1 needing suspention so upgraded it..

i just need to decide how to do my kubvan beore this season.. hate the cofaps..
CRSMP5

Return to Running gear