Providing Kubvan info for 21 years, please help support this site

Noise when shifting into 5th

rabbit linkages

Noise when shifting into 5th

Postby luckham » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:34 pm

Any idea's, getting a funny clicking sound when I shift into fifth.
All lower gears are fine.
release the clutch noise goes away.
I am going to check the oil level. but I am not thinking that's the problem.
When I have experienced low oil in the tranny, It makes a whining sound, this new sound is a clicking or ticking sound.
Anyone know anything about fifth gear lock out adjustment or the selector shaft detent plunger adjustment
All ideas appreciated
luckham
Site Admin

Re: Noise when shifting into 5th

Postby CRSMP5 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:16 am

oil level 1st.....

the whirl you hear when run low is the plastic cage to the needle bearing melts on 5th gear... if/when it pops out of 5th game over... all the needles fall to 1 side.. then 5th no mesh right and scrap it is..

2nd way ive seen 5th fail... the teeth to 5th gear on pinion shaft machine them selves away... gear then slips on shaft..

done both above...

tick... only know that when ring/pinion gear gets damages.. usually bad bearing by axle flange... or rivit head common off hittin inside the case... each revolution it hits.. so there is that test for ya...

020 easy to fab tools and to rebuild/go thru...

www.brokevw.com i think is webs most/best info on this... ive always used the mk2 85-92 bently to rebuild them.. the 74-84 bently has info/pics too.. but i use the mk2??? something makes me do it.. added info? no idea.. been a while..

yes the bently has the settings you seek... over the years they change those lockouts... some are bolt in and go.. others you have to set it... those ones have a detent that pops up in the top of it.. detent height is the adjustabilty.. been long time since i screwed with one of them...

5th gear setting is inside the nose cone... should be ~1mm of threaded tube into syncro fork... rember they used 2 styles of locks on this... newer is a odd fork design at the base of the tube/fork.... older was a tube around the shift tube thru fork.. they crimp this tube... works as lock nut... i hold with plyers.. turn the forkj tube.. cannot replace/get replacement so do not destroy it..
CRSMP5

Re: Noise when shifting into 5th

Postby luckham » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:36 pm

5th gear toast small.jpg
5th gear toast small.jpg (190.78 KiB) Viewed 8180 times

yup
luckham
Site Admin

Return to The 5 speed